It’s Easter weekend, and lots of family time is on the agenda, even for the most dedicated farmers. As with any holiday, it’s time to think about making sure your pet survives the human festivities.
Easter pet hazards
The veterinarians at Pet Poison Helpline want you to know that Easter lilies are a major threat to cats. Any part of the plant will make them sick – the petals, the leaves, the stem and even the pollen. Cats that ingest as few as one or two leaves, or even a small amount of pollen while grooming their fur, can suffer severe kidney failure. Symptoms of poisoning will develop within six to 12 hours of exposure. Early signs include vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy and dehydration. Symptoms worsen as kidney failure develops. It’s usually fatal if left untreated.
There are other risks your animals face with this holiday. Chocolate, easter egg grass, and xylitol are all temptations your dog may not be able to resist.
You can bite the ears off of your child’s Chocolate bunny, but if your dog does, you may have a problem. In general, the darker and more bitter the chocolate, the greater the danger. Baker’s chocolate and dark chocolate pose the biggest problem. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, an abnormal heart rhythm, seizures, and possibly death. Other sources include chewable chocolate flavored multi-vitamins, baked goods, or chocolate-covered espresso beans. If you suspect that your pet ate chocolate, call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately.
One other problem that you might see at Easter is xylitol poisoning. Xylitol is a sugar substitute that is highly toxic to dogs. You’ll find it in foods, medicines, candy, and very commonly in chewing gum.
Pet Poison Helpline is a 24-hour animal poison control service available by phone 24 hours a day. There is a fee ($49) for the service. Their phone number is 855-764-7661.
I’m Len Wilcox and that’s the Western View by AgNet West.