How much do farmers make for that Thanksgiving meal? That’s coming up on This Land of Ours.
National Farmers Union (NFU) released the 2022 Farmer’s Share of the food dollar for several items typically served for the Thanksgiving holiday.
Included in the 2022 Thanksgiving Farmer’s Share numbers are:
- Turkey: Retail Price – $1.99/pound, Farmer’s Share – $0.06/pound
- Sweet Corn, 16oz frozen: Retail Price – $2.59, Farmer’s Share – $0.44
- Stuffing, 12oz box: Retail Price – $3.59, Farmer’s Share – $0.13
- Boneless Ham, 2lb: Retail Price – $12.98, Farmer’s Share – $1.00
- Mashed Potatoes, 5lb bag: Retail Price – $5.99, Farmer’s Share – $1.30
- Apple Pie Filling, 21oz can: Retail Price – $4.99, Farmer’s Share – $1.03
Even though consumers are paying more for food this year, almost none of that increase is being passed on to America’s family farmers and ranchers.
NFU President Rob Larew says, “”Corporate profits and consumer food costs continue to go up and up, but the share of the farmer’s share of the food dollar remains low.”
Listen to Sabrina Halvorson’s This Land of Ours program here.
National Correspondent / AgNet Media, Inc.
Sabrina Halvorson is an award-winning journalist, broadcaster, and public speaker who specializes in agriculture. She is a native of California’s agriculture-rich Central Valley.