From: National Day Calendar
National Weed Your Garden Day is celebrated annually on June 13. This day is set aside for all gardeners to take an extra 5 or 10 minutes while weeding their gardens.
One of the best gardening tips is to stay in control of your garden. Weeds grow fast, very fast and can soon become overwhelming. If you stay on top of them, it is much easier to maintain your garden. Weeding 5 or 10 minutes each day will make the job seem bearable and maybe even a little bit enjoyable and you will be in control and the weeds will not!!
Excessive and unwanted weeds will crowd out plant roots and steal the nutrients that are needed for the plants to grow nice and healthy.
Helpful tips on reducing weeds in your garden:
- Cover the soil along rows and between plants with mulch.
- Make sure to keep all weeds away from young plants.
- It is okay to plant your plants closely together to leave less room for weed growth.
- Have soil weed-free before planting.
- Make sure you do not let any of the weeds flower out.
- Keep the edges of your yard mowed low to lessen the invasion of weeds onto your property and into your garden.
How to Observe
Use #NationalWeedYourGardenDay to post on social media.
Video from: GrowVeg
Easy Weeding – How to Get Rid of Weeds in Your Vegetable Garden
Weeding can take up the majority of your time in the garden. However, it is possible to reduce the time spent weeding AND increase the amount you harvest from your vegetable garden. This video demonstrates simple weeding techniques which can help you to rid your garden of weeds and stop them from removing vital nutrients from the soil. We explain which methods work best for different types of weeds, as well as how to use mulches and weed barriers for future protection.