Steering the Best Talent Towards Colleges of Agriculture
Glenn W. Sample Dean of Agriculture
USDA 2016 Agricultural Outlook Forum
The Talent Pipeline
- Supply and demand for high potential talent:
– 57,900 annual jobs available, B.S. and higher, food, renewable energy, environmental specialties
– 35,400 agriculture, forestry/natural resources, and veterinary medicine graduates
Agriculture Talent Pipeline Drivers Of Change
- Flat enrollments overall, growth in Agriculture enrollment could continue
- More diverse student body, more women in agriculture and higher levels of attainment
- Fewer students with ‘traditional’ background
- Mixed perceptions of agricultural industry
- Increased role of technology in education
- Major focus on affordability/attainment/value
- Industry looking for ‘career ready’ graduates
- Career opportunities look strong
Looking Ahead: Issues/Opportunities
- Attracting diverse talent
- Managing cyclical nature of industry, perceptions and understanding
- Capitalizing on ‘agriculture’ as an area of focus
- Creating access, respecting land-grant mission
- Focus and state boundaries
- Utilizing technology in productive ways
- Blending ‘work’ and ‘school’
- Managing cost, demonstrating value
Future Leader Preparedness Study
Why was the study necessary?
- AFA, in partnership with Millennium Research, commissioned a study to discern if the AFA Leader Development Model is appropriately preparing future leaders in agriculture. Results of the survey indicate that, while improvements can be made to leader development programs, they serve a critical role in preparing future leaders to make the transition into the workforce, and contribute immediately to the growth and innovation of our industry.
What goals did AFA hope to accomplish with this study?
- Identify similarities and gaps in understanding between future leaders and industry leaders in agriculture. ® To benchmark and validate core competencies within the AFA Leader Development Model.
- To improve and enhance leader training programs including the AFA Leader Development Model.