Everett Griner talks about money growing on trees in today’s Agri View.
The U.S. fruit and tree nuts industry consists of a wide array of crops and products generating, on average, over $25 billion in farm cash receipts annually. Produced on only less than 2 percent of U.S. agricultural crop land, farm cash receipts from this sector account for 13 percent of the total receipts for all agricultural commodities and 7 percent for all crops. Foreign markets serve as outlet for less than 20 percent of overall U.S. fruit and tree nut supplies while nearly half of the available supplies for domestic consumption come from imports. ERS monitors fruit and tree nut markets and provide the following:
- Current and historical data on supply, use, value, prices, and trade for the sector and for individual commodities;
- Outlook reports and interactive summaries three times per year, providing current intelligence and forecasts on changing conditions in the U.S. fruit and tree nuts sector; and
- In-depth analyses of production, consumption, global production and trade, prices, and conditions and events affecting the fruit and tree nuts sector and specific commodities.
Fruit and Tree Nut Data provide users with comprehensive statistics on fresh and processed fruits, melons, and tree nuts in the United States, as well as some global data for these sectors. It harmonizes and integrates data from the ERS market outlook program with data collected by different Federal and international statistical agencies to facilitate analyses of economic performance over time and across domestic and foreign markets. Currently, data are located in the following inter-related products:
- Data by Category (e.g., price, production, etc.) provides monthly U.S. imports and exports, producer and consumer price indexes, and selected retail prices.
- Data by Commodity provides current import and export data for more than 30 individual fresh and processed fruit and tree nut commodities on a marketing-year basis.
- Yearbook Tables (in Excel and PDF) contain a time series of annual (or some monthly) data for U.S. bearing acreage, production, prices, trade, per capita use, and more. Eventually, all data currently contained in the Fruit and Tree Nuts Yearbook will be integrated into the Data by Category and Data by Commodity series.