Tenth-generation farmer Chip Councell of Maryland was elected as the new U.S. Grains Council Chairman at the Board of Delegates Meeting in Louisville, Kentucky. He’s worked with both the USGC and the Maryland Grain Producers Utilization Board to become a leading farm educator and conservationist. He said his passions in life are his family, farming, and the U.S. Grains Council. He said, “Our programs have an impact around the world, and despite challenges in the Ag sector, I am excited and optimistic about the future of our industry.” Councell told delegates the core mission of developing export markets for feed grains will continue to be at the heart of their efforts. They’ll also look to develop markets for U.S. ethanol, as well as continue to tell consumers about the efforts of the American grain industry to produce reliable and high-quality crops.
From the National Association of Farm Broadcasting news service.
From U.S. Grains Council
At the Louisville meeting, the Board of Delegates also elected other members of the Council’s 2016-2017 Board of Directors. That body now includes:
- Philip “Chip” Councell, Maryland Grain Producers Utilization Board, chairman
- Deb Keller, Iowa Corn Promotion Board, vice chairman
- Jim Stitzlein, Consolidated Grain and Barge Co., secretary/treasurer
- Alan Tiemann, Nebraska Corn Board, past chairman
- Thomas Sleight, U.S. Grains Council, president and chief executive officer
- Darren Armstrong, Corn Growers Association of North Carolina, Inc., at-large board member
- Ray Defenbaugh, Big River Resources LLC, agribusiness sector/ethanol and co-products director
- Craig Floss, Iowa Corn Promotion Board, checkoff sector director
- Dick Gallagher, Iowa Corn Promotion Board, corn sector director
- Greg Hibner, Hawkeye Gold, LLC, a J.D. Heiskell Company, agribusiness sector director
- Charles Ray Huddleston, Texas Grain Sorghum Association, sorghum sector director
- James Raben, Illinois Corn Marketing Board, at-large director
- Charles Ring, Texas Corn Producers Board, at-large director
- Mark Seastrand, North Dakota Barley Council, barley sector director
- Jim Stuever, Missouri Corn Merchandising Council, at-large director
The new board will serve until July 2017.