From: California Strawberries
1) Choose berries that have a bright red color, a natural shine and fresh looking green caps.
2) Strawberries should always be refrigerated and kept dry until just before serving.
3) With green stems still in tact, rinse berries under cool water.
4) After rinsing, gently blot dry.
5) Remove the green caps from the berries with a light twist or with the point of a knife.
- After rinsing, gently blot dry.
- Slice stem off at top of berry.
- Place cut side down on a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper.
- Place uncovered in freezer for 24 hours.
- Transfer strawberries to a freezer bag or container.
- Frozen strawberries can be stored frozen for several months.
Fresh California strawberries are most flavorful at room temperature. They can be enjoyed just as they are or sliced in cereals, salads and served with any meal, any time of day. For additional ways to serve strawberries, check out our recipe pages, blog, or the California Strawberries Facebook page.
Video from The Produce Guy
YourProduceGuy visits a massive “pick your own” Strawberry patch while in California. What a wonderful find. There’s nothing like picking fresh produce. Most strawberries bought at the store are picked on the greener side and then they ripen while they travel. This was just a delight!