Today is National Artichoke Hearts Day! Celebrating one of the oldest foods known to man. That’s coming up on This Land of Ours.
National Artichoke Hearts Day
- The total antioxidant capacity of an artichoke flower head is one of the highest reported for vegetables.
- The fleshy base of the artichoke is perhaps the most enjoyably edible part of this oddly-shaped vegetable.
- You can find artichoke hearts that are packed in vinegar, oil or marinade and canned.
- They make for a great low sodium snack and lend themselves well to other snacks like artichoke dip, as well as a pizza topping.
- Toss them in the skillet for a savory sauté.
- They might just turn into a healthy addiction!
- California is known as the artichoke capital of the world. They supply nearly 100% of North American fresh artichokes.
How to Observe
Try this artichoke hearts recipe: Artichoke Hearts Gratin
Use #ArtichokeHeartsDay to post on social media.
Ocean Mist Farms Company Video 2015
How to Prepare Fresh Artichokes for Cooking
Ocean Mist Farms shows how to prepare a fresh artichoke for cooking. You can cook artichokes ahead of time and store them for several days before eating or using them in a recipe.
This video covers cleaning and properly removing the top and tail of the artichoke and other optional steps such as separating the petals to make sure the artichoke is completely ready to cook.
Subscribe to Ocean Mist Farms on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_…