Cathy Isom not only lets you know what is best, but most important, why you should consider sun-drying fruits and veggies. That’s coming up on This Land of Ours.
Drying fruits, vegetables, and herbs is a process that has been around for a long time. In fact, it’s one of the earliest known methods of food preservation. Sun-drying, or solar drying, takes just enough moisture out of fruits and veggies to prevent them from spoiling while being stored. The first and most obvious benefit is to have your favorite produce around for much longer than if it was a ripe tomato sitting on the counter. Some of the benefits of sun drying your produce:
- Dried fruits and vegetables retain large amounts of vitamins, fiber, and minerals.
- Sun-dried produce can be stored for use in soups, cereals, and trail mixes.
- Your sun-dried harvest doesn’t contain preservatives or chemicals.
- Dried goodies are easy to store and won’t take up a lot of space.
- If you’re a prepper, having stores of sun-dried fruit and veggies will come in handy down the road, not to mention knowing how to sundry.
Some of the best fruits and veggies to sun dry include:
- Hot pepper or chilies
I’m Cathy Isom…