In this, the third of her series on medicinal plants, Cathy Isom tells you about the must-have medicinal herbs you should have in your garden. That’s coming up on This Land of Ours.
There are dozens of medicinal plants that are beautiful to have in your home. But there are dozens more that you’ll definitely want to grow in your garden. Including these:
- Oregano – an anti-inflammatory known to treat a number of stomach issues.
- Chamomile — use it directly on the skin to treat a variety of ailments from eczema to stomach issues.
- Peppermint – good for a sore tummy. Also effective for a cold or mild headache.
- Bay Laurel — treating many ailments from joint pain to skin issues thanks to its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- Dill – great for digestive issues.
- Parsley – there’s some evidence that this herb is a diuretic. In the past parsley was also used to treat conditions from skin lesions to cancer.
- Sage – people use this as a useful remedy for a scratchy, tender throat.
- Borage – there’s evidence this herb can regulate cortisol levels in the body. When applied topically, it may help treat skin conditions.
I’m Cathy Isom…